The décor of any room is incomplete without an area rug. This kind of rug adds not only the final finishing touches to the décor but also a pop of color and warmth to the room. It also provides a soft and comfortable place for you to sit, play games, or watch movies during a slumber party.
As pretty as these rugs look, dirty area rugs can have a negative impact on the aesthetics of a room. The rough, constant use that these mats undergo can make them dull and dirty. To maintain the beauty and the look of your area rug, you must clean it on a regular basis. One of the most effective ways to clean an area rug is with the help of a pressure washer.
Pressure washing simply means washing your area rug using a high-pressure stream of water. A pressure washer shoots water at the rug at a high pressure, which cleans the rug of all the stains and embedded dirt and dust.
If it’s your first time cleaning an area rug with a pressure washer, this all-in-one guide will help you get through the cleaning process smoothly and efficiently. Now, you don’t have to send your area rug out to the cleaners. With the help of this guide, you can clean your area rug just like the professionals do, all from the comfort of your own home!
Things You Will Need to Clean Your Area Rug with a Pressure Washer
Before you can set out to clean your area rug, make sure that you have everything you’ll need.
- Laundry detergent
- Dishwashing soap
- Broom with stiff bristles
- Drying equipment
- A reliable pressure washer
Once you have everything, you can start the cleaning process!
|Top||Sun Joe SPX3000 2030 Max PSI 1.76 GPM 14.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer||Check Today's Price|
|Top||Sun Joe SPX1000 1450 Max PSI 1.45 GPM 11.5-Amp Electric Pressure Washer, Green||Check Today's Price|
|Top Top||Stanley SHP1600 Electric Power Washer, 1600 PSI, Yellow||Check Today's Price|
|Top||Greenworks 1600 PSI 13 Amp 1.2 GPM Pressure Washer GPW1602||Check Today's Price|
|Top||AR Blue Clean, AR383 1,900 PSI Electric Pressure Washer, Nozzles, Spray Gun, Wand, Detergent Bottle & Hose||Check Today's Price|
Steps of Cleaning an Area Rug with Pressure Washer
Cleaning an area rug with a pressure washer gives you a sparkling clean rug in no time. The step-by-step guide given below will help you get through the cleaning process without a hassle.
1. Choose the Cleaning Area
Chose the place where you’re going to wash your area rug. The place should be clean and tidy. It should be flat and wide, where you can spread your rug out completely. You should always look for a place to clean your area rug outside your home because pressure washing will be troublesome if it’s done indoors.
2. Prepare the Rug for Cleaning
Once your cleaning station has been sorted, spread the rug upside down. Before laying the rug on the floor, sweep the rug on both sides thoroughly to get rid of any loose dirt that may be present on the surface of the rug. After this step, your rug is ready to be pressure washed. Cleaning loose dirt, debris, hair, or any other solid particles in advance will give you excellent results after pressure washing.
3. Read the Cleaning Instructions for Your Area Rug
The cleaning instructions that come with the area rug will inform you about any chemicals that are not suitable to be used on it. There are some detergents and chemicals that can cause discoloration of the rug, which is why this step is very important.
4. Choose the Suitable Cleaning Agent
The next step involves the selection of detergent or any other cleaning agent that is suitable to be used on your area rug. If the pressure washer that you’re using doesn’t have a soap tank, apply the detergent directly onto the stains on your rug. Use gentle agents to clean the stains. Moreover, make sure that you use cleaning agents only in small quantities because you sure don’t want your rug to fade or get discolored. Leave it for a few minutes before moving on to the next step.
If there are any nasty or stubborn stains, use a brush with hard bristles to clean them before washing the area rug with a pressure washer.
5. Check Your Pressure Washer
Before operating the pressure washer, make sure that your machine is in good shape. It should be well-oiled and have all the necessary accessories attached. Check the nozzles to ensure that they’re in proper working condition. After you’ve inspected the machine thoroughly, connect the hose of the pressure washer to the water source.
6. Wash Your Area Rug
Hold the wand of the pressure washer about 0.3 meters from the rug’s surface. Placing the wand too close to the rug can result in the rug getting damaged or blown away. Pull the trigger of the pressure washer, and start washing your rug thoroughly. Pass the wand of the pressure washer over the surface of the rug and cover all the areas, especially the ones with visible spots.
7. Rinse the Area Rug
Rinse the area rug with only water 2 to 3 times to make sure no soap remains in the fibers of the rug.
8. Dry the Area Rug
Once you’ve made sure that the rug has been rinsed well, look for a suitable place where you can keep the rug while it dries out. The spot you choose should be clean and free of dirt. Moreover, it should be wide enough to accommodate the rug in its entirety. Make sure that the spot you choose is airy so that the rug dries up quickly.
Things to Be Careful About When Cleaning an Area Rug with a Pressure Washer
Pressure washing gives excellent cleaning results when done right. However, there are certain dos and don’ts that you should be very careful of when pressure washing your area rug.
- Use the right cleaning solution. You will come across numerous options that are available in the market today, but not all of them are suitable for your area rug. Gentle cleaning agents are the most suitable.
- Use the right tools and equipment to ensure that you’re not over-cleaning or under-cleaning your area rug.
- Use the appropriate pressure when you’re operating the pressure washer. If the pressure is not right, you might end up damaging the material of the rug. If you’re not sure about what pressure to use, start with the least and increase it gradually.
- Maintain the recommended distance between the wand of the pressure washer and the surface of the rug. The distance you keep between the two should be such that the rug receives the water accurately and with the required amount of pressure.
- Make sure that the material of the area rug is suitable for pressure washing. You can get this information from the cleaning instructions that come with the rug.
- Don’t wash your area rug with hot water. When you’re using a pressure washer to clean your area rug, there is no need to use hot water since you’re already using pressure.
- Don’t keep the wand or the nozzle of the pressure washer too close to the rug’s surface. It damages the area rug. The right distance is about 12 inches.
Our Final Thoughts
Pressure washing is an extremely efficient method to wash your area rugs. It’s not only convenient but very quick, too. You don’t have to go through the hassle of carrying your rug all the way to the cleaners to get it washed and then bring it back home. All you have to do to clean an area rug with a pressure washer is follow the aforementioned steps closely to ensure that you don’t end up damaging your rug!